The National Weather Service has issued
a Winter Storm Warning from 8 p.m. Wednesday to 8 p.m. Thursday. Heavy snow could cause downed trees and power outages. Here are some tips to keep in mind.
If a Tree Hits Your Home
- Get everyone safely out of your house. Use your cellphone or go to a neighbor and call 9-1-1.
- Go to a nearby shelter (another home or open public facility) to stay dry and out of the elements.
- Stay away from the home until public safety employees can access the home for structural stability and ensure utilities are controlled.
- Only after all of these safety measures have taken place should you call your insurance company.
For downed trees:
- Adjacent to Public Roads: Contact Virginia Department of Transportation at 1-800-FOR-ROAD, TTY 711.
- On County Parkland: Contact Fairfax County Park Authority at 703-324-8594, TTY 703-324-3988.
View original post 206 more words